Jurassic Gardening - Create a Terrarium
Small plastic dinosaurs are a favourite toy and the explosion in popularity of terrariums provides these prehistoric creatures with a fantastic playground that kids can help create.
Here is how to create a T-Rex Terrrarium:
- In a large clear jar, terrarium bowl or even a small fish tank, place a layer of pebbles or gravel and then some good quality potting mix.
- Adjust the depth of the potting mix to suit the size of the root ball of your chosen terrarium plants.
- Plants that look very ‘Jurassic Park’ include small ferns, moss and dwarf palm seedlings.
- To make choosing plants easier, many garden centres will have a special section of small terrarium suitable plants. To get the kids involved and engaged, take them along to the garden centre and they can choose a few of their favourites. After digging the plants in (small tools and hands are ideal for this job) then add a few rocks (boulders!) and then the dinosaur inhabitants. Jurassic gardening!
- Terrariums with tropical type plants should be placed where they receive indirect light and the potting mix should be kept only slightly moist.
- The beauty of terrariums is that they take up minimal space and kids can replace the dinosaurs with other toys like fairies and mini Lego® figurines to keep their terrarium fun and interesting.